Seat of Blennerhassett (in different buildings)
Baile Ui Sioda, pronounced "Ballysheedy"
(same place as "Ballyshiddy"),
just SE of Tralee, Co.Kerry.
- BALLYSEEDY, BALLYCARTY and ELMGROVE in
[Houses of Kerry].
- Russell Mc Morran
- "Ballyseedy Wood",
Kerry Magazine no.3, 1991, p.21-23.
Reprinted in "History of Ballymacelligott and Its People",
published by Ballymacelligott Active Retirement Association, pp.141-143.
- "Red Rose for Ballyseedy Wood",
Kerry's Eye, Tralee, 15th Feb 1996.
- Sources yet to be consulted:
- Brendan P. Lynch.
Ballyseedy Woods built heritage conservation report 2008-2009.
- Bolton, J. (2008). "Built heritage management plan for Ballyseedy Wood, Co. Kerry."
Ballyseedy townland and Ballycarty townland on
1829 to 1842 map
Old Ballyseedy is at the W end of Ballyseedy Wood.
New Ballyseedy is at the E end of Ballyseedy Wood (entrance off the E side road).
Ballycarty is E of the E side road.
Ballyseedy and Ballycarty on
1887 to 1913 map.
is SE of Tralee
S off the
main Tralee-Killarney road, on the small River Lee.
There is a side turning off this main road at the E end of the wood,
which I shall call the E side road
Ballyseedy townland, Ballyseedy par,
is the area W of the E side road.
It covers from the W end of the wood to the E end of the wood
(at the E side road).
Ballyseedy Bridge over the river
is at the E edge of Ballyseedy townland,
on the E side road.
In Ballyseedy townland:
(two ruined buildings)
is at the W end of the wood, in the NW end of
(formerly called Elm Grove or Elmgrove)
is at the E end of the wood, in the NE end of
off the E side road.
On the E side road is
the 19th century Protestant Ballyseedy church,
with the old ruined Ballyseedy church.
Ballycarty townland (or sometimes Ballycarthy), Ballyseedy par,
is the area E of the E side road.
Ballycarty Bridge over the river (or Ballycarty Cross)
is at the NE corner of Ballycarty townland,
on the main road.
In Ballycarty townland:
was in the NE end of Ballycarty townland.
Map of Ballyseedy area, 1777.
Up is West.
[Taylor and Skinner, 1777]
See full size
and other scan
From Bill Jehan
Shows "Ballyseedy" (location of old Ballyseedy),
"Elm Grove" (location of new Ballyseedy)
- GENUKI - Ireland
The Ballyseedy massacre, 1923
- During the Civil War,
Ballyseedy crossroads was the scene of a
massacre of Republican prisoners
by Free State troops
in Mar 1923.
There is now a
huge monument to this on the main road.
See street view.
- There is also a small monument just outside the Ballyseedy House gates
to a Republican who died earlier in the Civil War, Sept 1922.
See street view.
- Ballyseedy Wood is a last remnant of Co.Kerry's original forest cover.
- Ballyseedy Wood is now owned by Kerry County Council
and is open to the public for recreation.