Maltass and similar of Yorkshire
Sources yet to be consulted
Ripon parish register
can be reconstructed the following Maltus family.
This cannot be our family
the William below died 1802, while our William
had will proved 1783.
or Maultus or Malthouse,
of Bondgate (in S part of town centre),
mar Mar 1722 [Ripon]
to Sarah Oats
[of Kirk Deighton
, N Yorkshire].
See earlier connection between Malthouse and Oates
"Stephen Malthouse of Bondgate"
is listed as a freeholder and voter
in The Yorkshire Poll Book 1741
"Stephen Maltus, Ripon" was bur Ripon, 17 June 1777.
Stephen and Sarah
- Ann Maltus, bapt 5th Aug 1723 [Ripon].
There is an "Ann Malthus", of parish of Ripon, mar 12th Feb 1749 [Ripon]
to John Haxly of parish of Ripon,
but [Denton, 1999]
suggests this is dau of William Maltass, of Ripon and Agnesgate, Ripon
- John Maltus, bapt 1st Nov 1725 [Ripon],
bur Ripon, 11th Nov 1730, age 5 yrs.
- Martha Maltus, bapt 29th Oct 1727 [Ripon],
must be "Martha Malthus", of parish of Ripon, mar 24th Nov 1752 [Ripon]
to James Melton of parish of Ripon.
- Mary Maltus, bapt 13th Dec 1729 [Ripon].
- (stillborn child) Maltus,
bur Ripon, 9th Jan 1731.
- William Maltus,
bapt 14 May 1733 [Ripon].
"William Malthouse" of Bondgate had issue:
- John Malthouse, bapt 21st Mar 1762 [Ripon].
"William Malthouse, Ripon" died 15 Sept 1802, age 69 yrs.
He was bur Ripon, 17 Sept 1802
[see his grave
at Ripon Cathedral].
He had issue:
- --- Malthouse, had issue:
- Ann Malthouse, born 1803, died 3rd June 1807, age 4 yrs.
- Henry Maltus, bapt 23rd June 1735 [Ripon].
- Saray Maltus, bapt 30th Apr 1737 [Ripon],
"Saray, dau of Stephen Maltus of Ripon" bur Ripon, 20th Sept[?] 1740,
age 3 yrs.
- Saray Maltus, bapt 12th Feb 1742 [Ripon], second Saray.
- Priscilla Maltus, bapt 20th July 1744 [Ripon].
There is also a Stephen Maltus family of North Leys.
Although this family (Stephen and his wife Frances) do end up at Bondgate later,
I think they are a separate family (rather than Stephen's 2nd marriage)
because there is another William
(and we know the first William above
survived infancy because of the age on his grave,
which matches his baptism date):
of North Leys, in the parish of Ripon.
He mar 5 Jan 1737-1738 [Ripon] to Frances Long [of North Leys].
He is described as "of North Layes" at William's bapt 1738.
Described as "of North Leys House" at Mary's bapt 1740.
"Frances, wife of Stephen Maltus, Bondgate" was bur Ripon, 26 July 1785.
"Stephen Maltus, Bondgate" was bur Ripon, 17 Nov 1786.
- William Malthouse, bapt 13th May 1738 [Ripon].
- Mary Malthouse, bapt 27th May 1740 [Ripon].
Although our family records are all spelt "Maltass",
the [Rees family papers]
suggest that a variety of similar phonetic spellings
do refer to the same family,
and the Ripon parish registers (in interchanging spellings for the
clearly support that.
Possibly not related is the spelling with a "p".
- Malpass of Yorkshire,
- Mark Malpass,
mar Joan Lambshead,
Joan is researching Malpass family tree.
- There is a Malpas St off Clanbrassil St in Dublin.