Dr. Robert Emmet,
mar 1760 to Elizabeth Mason
[descendant of Edward III
and had issue:
- Thomas Addis Emmet,
associate of Harman Blennerhassett (they were at TCD together),
jailed at start of
had to leave Ireland for good after brother's failed rising 1803,
lived New York,
died 1827, age 63 yrs,
bur St Mark's-in-the-Bowery Churchyard, in the East Village, New York City,
- John Patten Emmet, had issue:
- Thomas Addis Emmet, born 1828,
MD, of New York, died 1919.
- Robert Emmet,
born 1778, family home,
124-5 St.Stephen's Green W, Dublin,
leader of failed insurrection 1803,
executed on Thomas St, Dublin, 1803, age 25 yrs.
"Let no man write my epitaph: for as no man who knows
my motives dare now vindicate them, let not prejudice or
ignorance asperse them. Let them and me repose in
obscurity and peace, and my tomb remain uninscribed,
until other times, and other men, can do justice to my
character; when my country takes her place among the
nations of the earth, then, and not till then, let my
epitaph be written."
- Robert Emmet's speech from the dock.
- The Emmet house on St.Stephen's Green W is now
(as is that whole side of the green),
now site of Stephen's Green Shopping Centre.
- There is a statue to Emmet in St.Stephen's Green opposite.
- There is a pub "The Robert Emmet" at his execution site.