The entry for "Wilkinstown" in [Griffiths Valuation, 1847] shows the Donagh family then in occupation, one big house, a number of smaller houses.
Alderman Michael Flanagan
obtaining property in Walkinstown in 1868,
and definitely acquiring Walkinstown House by 1873.
John Graves is listed at Walkinstown House in [Thom's, 1874].
The Alderman's brother William Flanagan, junior lived at Walkinstown House.
"W. Flanagan, Walkinstown" is listed in Irish Times, July 9, 1873.
William Flanagan is listed at Walkinstown House in [Thom's, 1875] and later.
He was living there at time of death 1886.
His widow lived there after him.
[Thom's, 1895] lists "Mrs. Flanagan, Walkinstown House".
Larry Flanagan apparently lived there for a short time (if so, would be before 1896).
As at 1901 census the house is being rented by Thomas Curtis from the Alderman.
It may be coincidence but "T. Curtis" appears at Newtown House many years later.
Walkinstown House is listed as vacant, under Crumlin, in [Thom's, 1910].
"The Bird" Flanagan
then lived there,
there as at 1911.
The house was attacked by the Black and Tans during the Troubles 1919-21, presumably because of the family's Irish Party connections (despite the fact that Frank was a former British Army officer).
The house was not badly damaged. The porch was burnt.
The Bird died at Walkinstown House 1925.
Mansfield-O'Flynn still listed at
Walkinstown House in
Walkinstown House was demolished around 1971.
The site became a Superquinn supermarket.
Superquinn listed there in [Thom's, 1972] on.
House and out-buildings are now all gone.
All that has survived is some of the wall and the trees at the edges.
See Walkinstown House - The site today.
Site of Walkinstown House on Griffiths Valuation map at askaboutireland.ie.
The hamlet seems to be mainly cleared by now, and there is one big holding (plot no.4), called "Buttercup Lodge".
Unfortunately, the numbering of [Griffiths Valuation] does not match the numbering of this map.
[Griffiths Valuation, 1847] shows one big house, plot no.6, occupied by James Donagh, and a number of smaller houses with various occupants. No Flanagans.
[Griffiths Valuation, 1850] shows one big house, plot no.5, occupied by Mrs. Jane Donagh, and a number of smaller houses with various occupants. No Flanagans.
Neither of these match this map, where the big house is plot 4.
Note that [VO] Griffiths Valuation maps, Dublin county, map 18 is damaged, and map 22 is too far south.
Walkinstown House on 1887 to 1913 map.
The hamlet is gone. The old main road is now dis-used.
There is a new approach to the house from the side.
There was a tiny stream down the E side of the old road, visible here (E side of "635").
The map shows the main block of the house
surrounded by, to the W, S and E,
the stables and outbuildings.
Entrance to NW.
There was an archway between the house to the N and the stables to the S.
The house to the W across the road ("388" here)
78 Walkinstown Road,
a farmhouse owned by
"P. Norton, dairy" is listed there in [Thom's, 1945].
This is the family of the author of [Norton, 1991].
This has now been entirely replaced by a row of shops. See street view.
Walkinstown House on map dated 1936.
Section "765" to the NE was a small paddock where horses were kept. To keep the horses away from the house, across the front (S) of the paddock (where two trees are drawn here) was a hedge (with a fence inside it) and a gate in the hedge.
This section is exactly the same shape as the NE supermarket car park today.
Superquinn, E side of Walkinstown Rd (site of Walkinstown House).
Click to toggle map/satellite view. Click to zoom in/out. Drag to move.
From Google Maps.