Miscellaneous Gibbon of Aberdeenshire area
Gibbon of Aberdeen
- Alexander Gibbon, advocate,
listed at Shipmaster's Court, 96 Shiprow, Aberdeen,
[Aberdeen Directory] 1824-25,
30 Adelphi Court, Union St, Aberdeen,
[Aberdeen Directory] 1825-26 to 1831-32,
4 Dee St, Aberdeen,
[Aberdeen Directory] 1832-33 and 1833-34,
listed with house at 214 Union St
and office at 1 Huntly St
[Aberdeen Directory] 1834-35 and 1835-36.
- Alexander Gibbon, M.D.,
listed at Mackie place, Aberdeen,
[Aberdeen Directory] 1849-50 to 1853-54.
There was a
Gibbon family at
S of Aberdeen,
says Gibbon of Stonehaven are related to the other Gibbons of Aberdeen:
"There had been Gibbons, all relations,
in Aberdeen and its surrounds,
also Stonehaven since the
Possibly of this family:
Alexander Gibbon, or Gibson,
- Sophia Gibbon, or Gibson,
bapt 28th Aug 1745,
S side of
mar 19th July 1766 [Dunnottar, Stonehaven]
or 20th [Nigg, Aberdeen]
to James Gibbon [born 1742 or 1743]
and had issue.
Beryl Mitchell's family probably starts with:
William Gibbon, born est c.1715,
mar 1st Feb 1747,
to Janet Jamieson [or Jamison] and had issue:
- William Gibbon, bapt 6th Dec 1747 [Elie, Fife].
Must be the same as:
William Gibbon, had issue:
- Capt. William Gibbon, junior, born 1747,
described as "Birthmaster at shore"
at his burial,
and "Capt." at his wife's burial,
and "shipmaster, Aberdeen" at Sarah's marriage,
mar Maria Cranmer [or Mary, think NOT Margaret, born 1746],
died 13th Aug 1821, "age 74 yrs", bur 17th Aug at
St.Fittick's, Nigg Bay, Aberdeen,
Maria died 19th Oct 1825, age 79 yrs, bur 25th Oct at Nigg Bay,
- Alexander Gibbon.
- Lieut. Col. --- Gibbon, 2nd son, born 1782,
Honourable East India Company's
(the name for the Indian Civil Service pre-1858),
died 25th Mar 1833, age 51 yrs, bur Nigg Bay,
- Jane [grave] or Jean [burial record] Gibbon, born 1819,
bur 28th Feb 1833 at Nigg Bay, age 14 yrs.
- James Gibbon,
bapt 27th Aug 1783 [St.Nicholas', Aberdeen], twin with William.
- William Gibbon,
bapt 27th Aug 1783 [St.Nicholas', Aberdeen], twin with James,
died 31st May 1792, age 8 yrs, bur Nigg Bay.
- Sarah Isabella Gibbon [or Sarah Isabel], 4th dau,
bapt 28th Aug 1786 [St.Nicholas', Aberdeen],
mar 26th Jan 1809 [St.Nicholas', Aberdeen]
to "Capt." [her grave, marriage] or "Lt." [her burial record] Adam Mellis (or Mellies)
of the 60th Regiment,
Adam died before her,
she died 27th Nov 1831 [think NOT 1832], age 45 yrs, bur 8th Dec at Nigg Bay.
- Jane Gibbon.
- (child) Gibbon.
- (child) Gibbon.
Rev. Charles Gibbon,
9th child, youngest,
born 20th (or 29th) Nov 1789, Aberdeen,
bapt 2nd Dec.
Gibbons buried in Nigg Bay, Aberdeen
Capt. Charles Gibbon, born 1748,
mar 1stly, 19th Aug 1775,
to Margaret Nichol
["Paggie Nicole", born 1748],
Margaret died 17th Nov 1779, age 31 yrs [grave],
bur St.Fittick's, Nigg Bay, Aberdeen
mar 2ndly, 11th Nov 1792 [St.Nicholas', Aberdeen]
to Rachel Susanna Farquhar
[or Susan, or Farquar, born 1769],
died 17th Sept 1800, age 52 yrs, bur Nigg Bay [monument attached to E end wall of church],
Rachel died 18th Feb 1812, age 43 yrs,
bur 23rd Feb at Nigg Bay,
- Alexander Gibbon,
born 14th Sept 1793, bapt 22nd Sept [St.Paul's, Aberdeen],
must be the Alexander Gibbon, carpenter,
who was bur 15th Feb 1818 in
age 24 yrs [burial says age 23 yrs].
There may be a connection of this branch with "Arthur Gibbon, carpenter"
who witnessed the baptisms of some of Capt. Robert's children
1770 through 1780.
- (dau) Gibbon,
died 2nd or 2- Dec, age 5 yrs [grave, Nigg Bay].
Gibbons buried in the old graveyard of Echt, Aberdeenshire
The old graveyard of Echt is S of Echt,
on N side of
The Gibbon graves in the old graveyard of Echt.
and full size
William Gibbon, born 1728,
farmer at Mills of Echt,
mar 1st July 1762 [Echt] to Ann Wagrel [or "Anne", Wagrel is a local name],
Ann died age 27 (poss. 77) yrs,
died 26th Nov 1785 (poss. 1783), age 57 yrs, bur Echt,
- William Gibbon, born 1762,
died 19th Nov 1783, age 21 yrs, bur Echt.
- Alexander Gibbon, bapt 17th Aug 1766 [Echt].
- James Gibbon, bapt 29th Jan 1769 [Echt],
miller at Old Mill of Echt,
died 15th Mar 1800, age 31 yrs, bur Echt.
William Gibbon, miller at Old Mill of Echt,
they both died Mar 1787 [bottom of gravestone hidden underground], bur Echt.
merchant, of Cullerlie, SE of Echt
mar 23rd Aug 1794 [Echt]
to Mary Carnie
[born 1773, dau of John Carnie, farmer, Milton of Cullerlie, and Elizabeth Milne, both bur Echt],
died 2nd Feb 1837, age 69 yrs, bur Echt,
Mary died 22nd Nov 1842, age 69 yrs, bur Echt,
- John Gibbon, bapt 26th May 1795 [Echt].
- Ann Gibbon, bapt 14th Oct 1796 [Echt].
- Alexander Gibbon, bapt 13th Jan 1799 [Echt],
died 10th Feb 1873, age 74 yrs, bur Echt.
- William Gibbon, bapt 28th Sept 1800 [Echt].
- Elizabeth Gibbon, bapt 18th Nov 1802 [Echt],
died 5th June 1875, age 72 yrs, bur Echt.
- Mary Gibbon, bapt 10th Mar 1805 [Echt],
mar 23rd June 1833 [Echt] to George Gordon [born 1812, merchant, Muchalls,
erected her Carnie grandparents' gravestone in Echt 1867,
died Tillioch, nr Echt, 23rd Nov 1876, age 71 yrs, bur Echt,
George died Aberdeen, 22nd May 1880, age 68 yrs, bur Echt,
- William McCombie Gordon, born Muchalls, 17th Oct 1843,
or born Fetteresso, Kincardine,
inspector, Town and County Bank, Aberdeen,
Co.Clare, Ireland, 28th Dec 1915, age 72 yrs [grave, Echt].
- Agnes Gibbon,
bapt 29th Mar 1807 [Echt],
mar George Elmslie
and had issue
[see ELMSLIE family tree in
[LDS Ancestral File],
submitted by: James S. Elmslie, 4825 Wander Lane,
Salt Lake City, UT 84117].
- James Gibbon, bapt 9th June 1810 [Echt].
James Gibbon, born 1778,
mar 19th Nov 1815 (she was pregnant),
to Agnes Cadenhead [NOT Gadenhead, born 1795],
died at Collonach, NW of Drumoak, 5th May 1826, age 48 yrs, bur Echt,
Agnes died 6th June 1885, age 90 yrs, bur Echt,
- May Gibbon, bapt "Marjory" 5th Jan 1816 [Drumoak],
mar Andrew Jamieson,
died at Banchory, Aberdeenshire,
2nd Dec 1891, age 75 yrs, bur Echt,
- Mary Jamieson, bapt 1st June 1851 [Drumoak],
erected the family gravestone (with another grandchild, "Agnes Forbes"),
died at Aberdeen, 3rd June 1923, age 72 yrs, bur Echt.
- Margaret Gibbon, bapt 15th Dec 1817 [Drumoak],
died at Cluny (think NOT Gluny),
23rd Dec 1891, age 74 yrs, bur Echt.
- Mary Gibbon, bapt 25th Feb 1820 [Drumoak],
mar 20th Oct 1844 [Drumoak] to John Ferguson [born c.1818],
- Malcolm Withers, researching family tree,
summary chart deposited in [Aberdeen FHS],
address 34 Ecton Ave, Macclesfield, Cheshire
- William Gibbon, bapt 1st Mar 1822 [Drumoak], died 20th Sept 1847, age 25 yrs, bur Echt.
- James Gibbon, bapt 20th Nov 1823 [Drumoak].
- Helen Gibbon, bapt 12th Dec 1825 [Drumoak], died 8th Nov 1837, age 11 yrs, bur Echt.
Ann Gibbon, born 1795,
mar 27th Aug 1814 [Echt] to John Duncan
[born 1785, farmer, Tillyorn, nr Milton of Cullerlie],
died 2nd Mar 1872, age 77 yrs, bur Echt,
John died 8th Feb 1873, age 88 yrs, bur Echt,
- William Duncan, bapt 23rd Sept 1815 [Echt], died 13th Mar 1888, age 72 yrs, bur Echt.
- Mary Duncan, bapt 20th July 1817 [Echt].
- Elizabeth Duncan, bapt 25th Oct 1819 [Echt].
- Ann Duncan, bapt 14th Aug 1821 [Echt].
- Jane Duncan, bapt 24th Feb 1824 [Echt], died 30th Sept 1908, age 84 yrs, bur Echt.
- John Duncan, bapt 22nd Apr 1826 [Echt].
- Agnes Duncan, bapt 28th Mar 1829 [Echt].
- Margaret Duncan, bapt 23rd July 1832 [Echt].
- Helen Duncan, bapt 23rd June 1835 [Echt], died 28th Jan 1907, age 71 yrs, bur Echt.
- George Duncan of Tillyorn, bapt 21st July 1838 [Echt], died 3rd Sept 1913, age 75 yrs, bur Echt.
- James Duncan, bapt 6th June 1841 [Echt].