Genealogy research by Mark Humphrys,
I have spent a great deal of time and money on this research. Research involves travel and many expenses.
Some research "things to do" are not done for years, because I do not have the money to do them.
Please Donate Here to support the ongoing research and to keep this website free.
Leicester House is plot 1 in Crumlin on [Griffiths Valuation, 1850]. 81 acres plus a mid-sized house, occupied by William Graham.
is listed at Leicester House in
[Thom's] from 1896 to 1926.
See entry in [Census, 1901]. Larry is "farmer". He owns the land on which he lives. Leicester House has 6 rooms, 10 windows in front of house. There are 5 out-buildings (consisting of 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 harness room, 1 cow house and 1 piggery).
See entry in [Census, 2 April 1911]. Larry is "market gardener". He owns the land on which he lives. Leicester House has 11 rooms, 10 windows in front of house. There are a total of 21 out-offices and farm buildings (consisting of 14 stables, 1 coach house, 1 harness room, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 barn, 1 potato house and 1 shed).
Larry died there 1925.
is listed at Leicester House in
[Thom's] from 1927 to 1932.
Leicester House was auctioned early 1931.
Liam Cosgrave thinks Larry possibly did not own Leicester House - that the Alderman stayed the owner of it.
[Watchorn, 1985, p.85] has a map of c.1937 which shows a small housing estate now built on the Leicester House grounds, to the W and N side. Though still fields all around that.
T. Noonan is listed at Leicester House, Drimnagh Rd, Crumlin in [Thom's, 1945].
Joseph Noonan is listed at Leicester House, Crumlin road, in [Thom's, 1951].
Our Lady's Children's Hospital, Crumlin, opened 1956. It was built on old Flanagan land (part of the Leicester House estate).
It was said that the hospital was built on land owned by The Bird's widow. Though it seems the whole Leicester House estate was sold back in early 1931 (when the Alderman still alive).
Peter Mulligan is listed at
Leicester House, Drimnagh Rd,
in [Thom's, 1973].
Leicester House still there 1974.
In [Thom's, 1975-76] to [Thom's, 1981-82] the Leicester House name is gone. The site is 18a Drimnagh Rd, which is "Laundrette (Mrs. Mulligan)". Note that Mulligan was previously listed at the house. It may be that this is still the old house.
Leicester House was possibly demolished around 1983.
In [Thom's, 1984] the location is vanished.
[Watchorn, 1985] describes it as "recently demolished".
The location re-appears in [Thom's, 1986] as 14-18 Drimnagh Rd, Sphere's health club. The old house is definitely demolished by now.
Leicester House, Crumlin, on 1829 to 1842 map.
Leicester House, Crumlin (plot 1) on Griffiths Valuation map at askaboutireland.ie.
Note Drimnagh Castle to W and Collins property to SE.
See also [VO] Griffiths Valuation maps, Dublin county, map 18.
Leicester House, Crumlin.
Close-up of above.
Note Collins property across the road to the S.
Leicester House, Crumlin, on 1887 to 1913 map.
Note the stables are not yet built.
The estate of Leicester House, on 1887 to 1913 map.
According to [Hannan].
[Deed, 1885] and the sale notice of 1931 both show 84 acres attached to the house.
The sale notice of 1931 says these are in 8 fields (which matches the above).
See also other Flanagan lands across the road to the south.
Leicester House for sale, Irish Times, January 31, 1931, p.16.
Leicester House site.
Overlay of 1887 to 1913 map and modern map.
Site is W side of Errigal Rd, just to W of Our Lady's Children's Hospital, Crumlin.
The site of the main house is now completely cleared and is occupied by a new building, the Children's Medical and Research Foundation.
This seems to be the only surviving piece of the wall of the grounds of Leicester House.
Entrance to the new building. View from Errigal Rd, looking W.
See wider view from street view.
Old maps show this as part of the old N boundary wall.
Photo 2012. See full size.
Wider shot. From street view.
Wider shot. Photo 2012. See full size.