Garvey research (D950/1/9)
Research on the ancestry of
Thomas Blennerhassett Garvey
(born 1844, died 1894).
Either he researched it himself or he employed someone to research it for him.
19th century research on Blennerhasset and other families.
Dates: c.1600 to c.1850.
- The notebook is unsigned.
However, summary trees on p.58 and p.99
show the research is all about the ancestry of Thomas Blennerhassett Garvey.
- Either he did the research or he employed somebody to.
- See a list of surnames the author is interested in on p.32.
and Connor and Poujade.
It is clear the focus is on a descendant of
Thomas and Mary Blennerhassett
(Thomas Blennerhassett Garvey's grandparents).
- A letter on pp.42-43 shows the researcher made a specific attempt to find
the baptism of Thomas Blennerhassett (Garvey's grandfather)
and Elizabeth Blennerhassett (Garvey's mother).
- The researcher looks at the Garvey arms and Garvey history on pp.79-81.
Date of research:
A note on p.28 says this research is dated 1881.
- A note on pp.42-43 also shows this research is dated 1881.
This research includes
extracts of Wills, Parish Registers, Marriage Licence Bonds, etc.
Which is important because many were later burnt and lost in 1922.
- D950 is mysterious.
Vast genealogy collection.
- D950/1/9 is clearly about the ancestry of
Thomas Blennerhassett Garvey.
Either he researched it himself or he employed someone to.
- The rest of D950 seems to have no connection to Garvey though.
It is hard to see how and why Garvey would have researched these families.
Hard to see why D950/1/9 (Blennerhassett) belongs with any of the other material in D950.
- Perhaps Garvey employed a professional to research his ancestry.
And these other notebooks are the other research projects of that professional.
Genealogical notes relating to the Hovenden, Sheridan and Higginbottom families, Castledermot, Co. Kildare.
Rent accounts and correspondence relating to John M. Stothard's estates at Banoge, Co.Wexford, 1866-1872.
And other material.
- To see all contents: Search catalogue
- Many of the
catalogue entries are vague, like "various families".
D950 badly needs a proper index.
- D950/1. Note Books of Genealogical Searches.
- D950/2. Genealogical notes on various families.
Dates: c.1100 - c.1942.
Things to do
- The main question: Is there any more
Blennerhassett related material by the author of D950/1/9?
- D950/1 is in confusing order:
- D950/1/8 is notebook no. 13.
- D950/1/9 (Blennerhassett) is notebook no. 15.
- D950/1/10 is notebook no. 19.
- To do: Find notebooks 14 and 16.
- To do: Look at the index in D950/1/1 and see what it says about notebook 15.
- D950/1/1 says Blennerhassett is in book 43.
- To do: Find book 43.