O'Hara of Annaghmore, Co.Sligo
Charles O'Hara (the elder), MP for Ballynakill,
[Dublin Almanack, 1762]
See full size
Charles O'Hara (the elder), MP,
(or "Nymph's field"
born Dec 1704,
[Ms 36,434 / 12]
Estimates that he was
born c.1715 have been published.
says this kind of date is much too late and says it is clear from family papers that he was born around 1705.
mar 1739 or 1741 or 1742 or 1743 to Lady Mary Carmichael
James Carmichael, 2nd Earl of Hyndford].
through Carmichael, Drummond, Leslie and Stewart from
James V, King of Scotland
and hence from
She died 1759.
He was a
Extensive correspondence survives.
He died 1776.
Charles and Lady Mary
- Mary O'Hara,
only dau, born est c.1742.
mar May 1766,
James Carrique Ponsonby [born 1738]
and had issue.
[Marriage settlement, 2 and 3 May 1766]
Freemans Journal, May 10, 1766.
Charles O'Hara (the younger),
born 26 Apr 1746, Shaw's Court (off Dame St), Dublin,
[Ms 20283, folder 18],
bapt 27 May 1746, St. Andrew's Church, Dublin.
MP for Dungannon
MP in Dublin at same time as his brother-in-law
James Carrique Ponsonby,
who, however, separated from his sister in 1778.
He mar 1780 to Margaret Cookson.
MP for Sligo County 1783-1800.
has a draft of his will (in or before 1800)
"to my nephew James Ponsonby of Crotto [Co.Kerry]"
£50 or a ring of that value.
He gets the name of his nephew wrong.
This line did not make it into the final will dated 25 Nov 1800.
MP for Sligo County (UK) 1801-22.
Item [D4031/D/6/44] in
[O'Hara papers at PRO.NI]
is a letter from Charles in 1806
in which he writes about Ponsonby the political family
but does not mention his nephews Ponsonby.
He died 1822.
Charles and Margaret had issue:
- Mary O'Hara.
- Jane Frances O'Hara, born 1783,
mar 1810 to Arthur Brooke Cooper and had issue:
- Charles William Cooper, born 1817,
inherited O'Hara estates 1860,
changed name to Charles William O'Hara.
- Charles King O'Hara, born 1785,
- Charlotte O'Hara,
mar 1812 to Robert Digby
and had issue.
Charles O'Hara (the younger), MP for Dungannon,
[Dublin directory, 1783]
When in Dublin at the
Irish House of Commons
his residence was in
[MS 36,484 / 16]
shows the connection to Ponsonby.
"Mrs. Trench's aff."
would be the affidavit
of Mrs. Trench (born Charlotte O'Hara, a niece of Charles O'Hara the elder) about O'Hara property.
The marriage settlement must refer to the Ponsonby - O'Hara marriage settlement of 1766.
Nymphsfield (Annaghmore), Co.Sligo
"Nymphfield" (Annaghmore), SW of Collooney, Co.Sligo.
From p.221 of
[Taylor and Skinner, 1777]
N is down.
[The Post-chaise Companion, 1786, p.395].
Nymphsfield (now called Annaghmore) on
1829 to 1842 map.
See modern map
of SE entrance (on N17).
- O'HARA in
[Burkes Irish, 1976]
- O'HARA on
of [Burkes Irish, 1912]
- ANNAGHMORE in
[Irish Country Houses]
- COOPERSHILL in
[Irish Country Houses]
- Charles O'Hara the elder,
[History of the Irish Parliament].
- Charles O'Hara the younger,
[History of the Irish Parliament].
- "The O'Haras of Annaghmore, c.1600-c.1800: Survival and Revival",
Irish Economic and Social History, (IX), 1982, pp. 34-52.
[NLI] Ir 330 i 21.
Sources yet to be consulted (O'Hara)
[NLI] GO MSS 179: Pedigree of O'Hara of Coolaney & Nymphsfield, 1580-1730.
[NLI] GO MSS 165: Pedigree of O'Hara of Coolaney & Nymphsfield, 1600-1794.
- Charles O'Hara the elder in
II, vol 39 no 204.
[History of the Irish Parliament]
cites a source for Charles O'Hara the younger's entry:
Abbreviation "EC" is unidentified.
- Charles O'Hara the elder. Freemans Journal, 3-6 Feb 1776 and 16-18 Apr 1776.
Edmund Burke, New York Agent
(correspondence with Charles O'Hara the elder, 1761-1776),
Ross J.S. Hoffman, 1956.
Correspondence And Papers Of Edmund Burke,
Wentworth Woodhouse Muniments,
The Book of O'Hara.
Book of Gaelic poems in the O'Hara family, written mostly in 1597.
Translation by Fr. Lambert McKenna pub 1951.
Sources yet to be consulted (Sligo)
- O'Rourke, T., History, Antiquities and Present State of the Parishes of
Ballysadare and Kilvarnet in the County of Sligo (Dublin, 1878).
- Killoran and Coolaney - A Local History,
(and here), 1985.
Hidden Histories: Political/Historical Perspectives of Sligo,
ed. Kate Bell, 2013.
John C. McTernan, Worthies of Sligo (Sligo, 1994).
John C. McTernan, Olde Sligoe: Aspects of Town and County over 750 Years
John C. McTernan, In Sligo Long Ago: Aspects of the Town and County over
Two Centuries (Sligo, 1998).
- John C. McTernan, Sligo: the light of bygone days, Sligo: Avena Publications, 2009.
- Vol I: Houses of Sligo and associated families.
- Vol II: Sligo families.
O'Hara and Cooper papers at
- Coopershill Papers.
1676 to 1974.
- Some can be viewed in original.
can only be viewed on Microfilm MIC603.
- O'Hara papers section of D4031 is Microfilm MIC603/3.
- O'Hara papers.
- Done - Have read these
- D4031/D/6. Letters to Mary O'Hara from her father, Charles O'Hara, c.1790 to 1814.
Have read items 1-6 and 44-52.
- D4031/D/7. Letters to Charlotte O'Hara from her father, 1793 to 1809.
- D4031/D/8. Letters to Mrs. O'Hara from Charles O'Hara, 1798 to 1814.
- To do - Read these
- D4031/D/6. Items 7-43.
- D4031/D/9. Letters to Charles O'Hara from Charles King O'Hara, 1799 to 1815.
- D4031/D/10. Letters to Mary O'Hara from Charles King O'Hara, c.1799 to 1839.
- D4031/D/11. Miscellaneous letters and papers of Charles O'Hara, 1768 to 1822.
- D4031/D/25. Papers about history of O'Hara family and estate, c.1800 to c.1850. Not on microfilm.
- T2812/26/1. Letters of Charles O'Hara, c.1800-1808.
This is a vast collection.
I am searching for references to their relatives Ponsonby of Co.Kerry.
- Done - Searched index:
NLI Reports on Private Collections, No 493.
NLI Ms RR.
Collection List 66.
NLI Special List No. 338.
NLI Ms RR.
This has typewritten transcripts of many of the papers.
- This refers to a letter from Walker King to Charles O'Hara the younger, 14 June 1804, which mentions,
in the context of politics, O'Hara's
"friendship with the Ponsonbys".
Cannot find where original of this letter is filed.
It would almost certainly refer to the
family, not Ponsonby of Co.Kerry.
- Done - Searched Ms (listed in Ms number order):
- Ms. 20280. (NOT 20380.)
Letters to Charles O'Hara the younger,
with some drafts of letters by him.
36 folders, in date order,
- Have searched folders 13 (1805) to 24 (1812), and folder 36 (undated).
- These include the "O'Hara mss" letters to and from Ponsonby and Everard,
1809-1812, that are referenced in
The History of Parliament.
- The correspondence with Ponsonby here is not with the Co.Kerry family but rather with
George Ponsonby (born 1755),
Lord Chancellor of Ireland 1806-07.
- Ms. 20283.
Letters to Charles O'Hara the younger,
and to other members of the O'Hara family.
18 folders, in date order,
Have searched folders 7 (1800) to 9 (1814), and folder 18 (undated part).
- MS 20,289. Letters mainly to Charles O'Hara (the younger) and to Charles King O'Hara from various members of the Digby family of County Offaly and associated papers, with many references to lands in the barony of Tiaquin, County Galway.
c. 100 items in 3 folders, c. 1810-1840.
- MS 20,291. Letters to Charles O'Hara (the younger), from Francis Jones of Streedagh, County Sligo, mainly regarding estate and family matters.
c. 120 items in 15 folders.
- Done folder 15. Folders 1-14 are early.
- Ms. 20296.
Letters to Charles O'Hara, the younger, and to his wife Margaret from members of their family, c. 1801.
- MS 20,297. Letters to Charles O'Hara (the younger), from Anthony O'Hara, a Colonel in the Russian Army.
47 items in 8 folders, 1787-1810.
- Searched folder 8 (1805-1810).
- Folders 1-7 are pre-1801.
MS 20,304. Letters to Charles O'Hara from his cousin Charlotte
Trench of Ashford, County Roscommon, and
other members of the Trench family.
- Done folders 2-5. Folder 1 is early.
- Folders 3-5 have some dates of O'Hara family history.
- MS 20,325. Letters to Charles King O'Hara from various members of the family of Cooper of Coopershill and Markree, County Sligo, with miscellaneous associated papers.
c. 180 items, 1790-1856.
- Done folders 1-2. Folders 3-4 are too late.
- MS 20334. Letters to Charles King O'Hara from his father Charles
O'Hara (the younger), with some letters in reply.
39 items, c.1802-1819.
MS 20,339. Letters, mainly to Charles King O'Hara but also including some to Charles O'Hara (the younger) from various members of the Phibbs family of County Sligo, concerning political and social affairs.
12 items, c. 1807-1845.
- MS 20366. Letters to Margaret O'Hara from Anne Venables (nee King).
30 items, c. 1799-1805.
- MS 36373 /18-19. Letters to Charles William O'Hara concerning building
work at Annaghmore, 1871-73. Correspondents
include James Franklin Fuller,
47 items in 2 folders, 1871-77.
- In MS 36394 have searched:
- MS 36394 /5. Correspondence of Charles O'Hara (the younger) with
various correspondents, including John McLean, Daniel
O'Hara, C Armstrong and Eliza Kirkwood, mainly relating
to financial matters.
9 items, 1800-07.
- MS 36394 /6. Letters to Charles O'Hara (the younger) from various
persons concerning his personal and financial affairs.
Correspondents include T McLean, Owen Wynne, Richard
Fleming, Eliza Kirkwood, George Stokes and others.
13 items, 1801-13.
- MS 36,395 /3. Correspondence and papers concerning the question of
Charles O'Hara (the younger's) qualifications to sit as an
MP in the British House of Commons under the Election
Act of 1801.
9 items, c.1801-03.
- MS 36,434.
- MS 36,434 /12. Correspondence and notes [by Charles Kean O'Hara?] regarding the O'Hara's family history. Includes annotations on O'Hara pedigree in Burke's Landed Gentry.
14 items, c.1904-34.
- MS 36,434 /25. Letters to Charles Kean O'Hara from Valentine James O'Hara. Topics include family history.
8 items, 1922-36.
- MS 36,434 /34. Letters to Charles Kean O'Hara from Donough O'Brien relating to O'Hara pedigree.
2 items, 1940.
- MS 36472 /1. Letters from Charles O'Hara (the younger) to his daughter,
2 items, c.1809.
- MS 36,483 /13. Letters to Mary O'Hara from William Phibbs relating to her personal affairs.
2 items, c.1809.
- MS 36,484.
- MS 36,484 /4. Rough notes for a family tree, showing descendents of Charles O'Hara (the younger).
1 item, undated [c.1860s].
- MS 36,484 /16. Typed copies [by Valentine O'Hara] of documents from O'Hara archive.
Includes typed copy of "Pedigree of Teige O'Hara and Anthony O'Hara", dated 1789.
Cannot find where original of this pedigree is filed.
20 items, c.1936.
- MS 36,489 /12. Will of Charles O'Hara (the younger), with drafts of same.
3 items, 1800.
- MS 36,498 /4.
Printed book of 1769 on The Case of Archibald Douglas and his Guardians against the Duke of Hamilton.
Some genealogical notes on the O'Hara family on the cover.
of ancestry of Lady Mary Carmichael.
- To do - Priority:
- MS 36363 /6. Deed of conveyance of lands at Tullyligue and other lands
in County Kerry and County Limerick from Charles
O'Hara, Thomas Rice, Robert Trench, Rowland Blennerhasset
and James Carrique Ponsonby to William
Grady (the younger).
28 November 1785.
MS 20,308. Letters to Charles King O'Hara, with some drafts of letters by him, mainly relating to estate, financial and local affairs.
250 items in 19 folders, c. 1807-1855.
- Done folders 1 and 19.
- (todo) Folders 2-18 (post-1815).
- To do - Charles O'Hara (the younger):
- MS 20,396. Letters to Charles O'Hara (the elder) and Charles O'Hara (the younger) from Euseby Cleaver [later Bishop of Ferns and Archbishop of Dublin], also some letters from John and William Cleaver, with references to political matters. 26 items, 1 June 1765 - 17 Dec. 1831.
MS 20,287. Letters to Charles O'Hara (the younger) from Caesar Colclough, Chief Justice of Prince Edward Island, mainly regarding political matters.
41 items in 5 folders, 1806-1818.
- MS 36396 /31. Papers relating to Charles O'Hara (the younger's)
appointment as a Commissioner of the Treasury.
2 items, c. 1806-07.
MS 36,395 /4. Letter from Charles O'Hara (the younger) to the
'Chancellor' [George Ponsonby]
concerning the introduction of the 'R. Catholic subject into
the United Parliament', 12 April 1807.
- To do - Charles King O'Hara:
MS 20,326. Letters to Charles King O'Hara from Richard Gethin of Auburn, County Sligo, mainly regarding financial affairs, but also with reference to local affairs.
32 items, 1807-1836.
MS 20,338. Letters to Charles King O'Hara from Colonel Alexander Perceval of Templehouse, County Sligo, also some letters from other members of the Perceval family and associated papers, mainly relating to financial and legal affairs, but with some reference to local affairs.
33 items, c. 1807-1844.
MS 36,405 /1. Letters to Charles King O'Hara from Lord Lorton, mainly relating to personal and family affairs.
3 items, 1815-20.
- MS 36,405 /9. General correspondence of Charles King O'Hara, including drafts of letters sent by him, relating to personal and estate affairs. Correspondents include Richard Eaton and Henry Lyons.
6 items, 1817-43.
- MS 36401 /3. Official certificates of the appointment of Charles King
O'Hara as Commissioner of Excise for County Sligo and
3 items, 1819-20.
- MS 20,337. Letters to Charles King O'Hara from Henry John Temple, 3rd Viscount Palmerston, with reference to the death of O'Hara's father, Charles O'Hara (the younger).
2 items, 2 October 1822 and 2 November 1828.
- MS 36,405 /5. Letter to Charles King O'Hara from his nephew Charles William Cooper [later O'Hara], concerning estate and personal matters.
1 item, 1839.
- To do - Misc:
- MS 36,484 /6. Receipts, letters and other documents of various relatives of the O'Hara family, including Christopher l'Estrange and Richard James Streatfeild.
7 items, c.1855-1933.
- MS 36373 /22. A specification of various building works and repairs to be
done at Dr Blenerhasett's house in Coolaney, County Sligo.
2 items, undated.
- To do - 18th century Ponsonby:
- MS 36485 /5. Deed of appointment by Charles O'Hara (the elder) to
secure a portion of £3,000 for Mary O'Hara on her
marriage to James Carrique Ponsonby.
3 May 1766.
- MS 36488 /6. Deed of settlement between Charles O'Hara (the elder),
Charles O'Hara (the younger), James Carrique Ponsonby,
John Carroll, Francis Fetherston and Patrick Boyd in
relation to the settlement of the estate of Charles O'Hara
(the elder) in County Sligo.
2 June 1767.
- MS 36287 /3.
Deed of release to secure £14,000 from Charles O'Hara
(the elder), Charles O'Hara (the younger), James Carrique
Ponsonby, Francis Fetherston and Patrick Boyd to George
Grenville of the O'Hara's lands in County Sligo, 19 April
- MS 36294 /26. Warrant to acknowledge satisfaction of the payment of
judgement debt in the case of William Grainger v Charles
O'Hara (the younger), also involving Mr Ponsonby.