Humphrys genealogy

Genealogy research by Mark Humphrys.

Search:


Abandoned families - Denny - Contents


  

Tralee Castle, Tralee, Co.Kerry

  

Tralee Castle.
Painted by "Sarah Harnett" in 1824 (just before demolition).
This must be from the S side (the open, green side). The N side faces onto the street, built-up area.
In possession of Denny family.
See larger and full size.




Tralee Castle was the castle of Tralee town, Co.Kerry.
The entrance was around what is now the junction of Denny St and The Mall / Lower Castle St.
The castle site would be a little to the S down Denny St. See maps below.

It was originally built by John Fitzgerald, 1st Baron Desmond, who founded Tralee town, c.1216.
Seat of Earls of Desmond.
Tralee Castle was destroyed, along with Tralee town, in 1580 in the Earl of Desmond's rebellion.

Tralee Castle and town were granted in 1586 to Sir Edward Denny.
Tralee was burnt again in an insurrection in 1598.
Tralee Castle was restored by Sir Edward Denny in 1627.
The Castle was besieged in the Catholic Rebellion 1641 and it was burnt by the rebels in 1642.
It was restored by Sir Arthur Denny in 1653.
The castle and town were again destroyed in 1691 in the Williamite-Jacobite War.
It was restored by Col. Edward Denny after 1691.
Seat of Denny Baronets (cr 1782).

From entry of 23 Aug 1788 in [Rev. Daniel A. Beaufort's Tour of Kerry, 1788], on arrival in Tralee: "The entrance is very dirty, the town very rambling in its plan. Some good houses on the Mall, a broad street by Sir Barry Denny's frightful old Castle. A Square very small & irregular. The Church is large & decent but never painted. A large new Jail is building. Many houses building so that half the streets are in rubbish."
From entry of 25 Aug 1788: "We walked into Sir Barry Denny's house which is much better than it appears outside. The grounds behind are well wooded & have a pretty walk round them."

Tralee Castle was rebuilt 1804 by Sir Edward Denny, 3rd Baronet.
But it didn't really work and he moved out in 1807-1810.
Tralee Castle was demolished 1826.
Nothing remains.

  



Map of Tralee, 1735.
Origin unknown.



Map of Tralee. Date sometime in 1743-1756.
Dedicated to Sir Thomas Denny, of Tralee Castle (knighted 1743).
Original in possession of Denny family.
See larger and full size.

  

For comparison with the above, here is Tralee on 1829 to 1842 map.
Just after the demolition of Tralee Castle and creation of Denny St.
The castle entrance was opposite where Nelson St meets Castle St. So about the top of Denny St.
Looks like the castle main block would have been in the centre of Denny St, a bit S of Castle St.




Tralee Castle described on p.162 of [Smith, 1756].



Tralee Castle on 1795 estate map.
N is up.
Note the canal to the W.
See larger and full size.



Close-up of Tralee Castle on the 1795 map.
See larger and full size.



Close-up of Tralee Castle in the above 1824 painting.
See larger and full size.



Tralee Castle.
Very similar to the 1824 painting above, though with minor differences.
Maybe a copy made by someone of the above painting. Or else an original, but made around the same time.
See larger and full size.
See other scan.
From [McMorran and O'Keeffe, 2005]. Picture credit Russell McMorran.
Used with the kind permission of Russell McMorran and Maurice O'Keeffe.



Site of Tralee Castle and grounds on 1829 to 1842 map.
Denny Street has been built on the site. Note the castle grounds below it (now Tralee town park).
Note The Square to the NW.
Note Princes Quay and Day Place to the W.



Site of Tralee Castle and grounds on 1887 to 1913 map.
See modern satellite view.
See modern street view on Denny St.



A floor tile surviving from the lost Tralee Castle.
Tile in possession of Denny family.
Photo 2022. See larger and full size.
This is a wild boar, which is a Fitzgerald symbol.
See other photo. From Gerald O'Carroll.



A floor tile surviving from the lost Tralee Castle. This one has a lion on it.
Tile in possession of Denny family.
Photo 2022. See larger and full size.


  

The old grotto

There is an old grotto to the SW end of the old castle grounds.
[O'Hea O'Keeffe, 2013] says the grotto is "a fragment of Denny life from around 1800".
This grotto survives today, in SW corner of Tralee town park.
  


"Grottos" shown in detail on the above 1887 to 1913 map.



The grotto, in SW corner of Tralee town park.
Photo 2000. See larger and full size.



Wider shot of the grotto.
Photo 2000. See larger and full size.
See steps nearby.
See street view.


  

References

  


Sources yet to be consulted



Donation Drive

Please donate to support this site. I have spent a great deal of time and money on this research. Research involves travel and many expenses. Some research "things to do" are not done for years, because I do not have the money to do them.
Please Donate Here to support the ongoing research and to keep this website free.

Help       Conventions       Abbreviations       How to read the trees

Privacy policy       Adoption policy       Image re-use policy       New 150 G VPS server.