Genealogy research by Mark Humphrys.
Richard Fitzwilliam, 5th Viscount Fitzwilliam, of Merrion (see here and here),
mar (settlement 26 Feb 1704)
to Frances Shelley
[Roman Catholic, born 15 June 1685, descendant
of Edward III].
Probably married in England.
Marriage not found in transcripts of St.Andrew's and St.Kevin's (St.Peter's) CoI par records in [Ms 2062].
She was descendant of Fitzwilliam of England.
Conforms to established church:
Their dau Mary was bapt in 1707, at Hampstead parish church in London (Church of England) but it notes that her father is still a Catholic.
5th Viscount conformed to established church 1710 so could take part in political life.
Took his seat in the Irish House of Lords 25 May 1710.
His son Richard was bapt Protestant in Dublin in 1711. The younger sons were bapt Protestant in Dublin in 1712-14.
Builds new seat at Mount Merrion:
The 5th Viscount abandoned Merrion Castle 1710 [Pearson, 1998].
He built a new residence, Mount Merrion House, on "Mount Merrion", the hill overlooking Merrion and Dublin Bay, in 1711.
The children grew up Mount Merrion.
[Ball, vol.2, 1903] mentions a large picture then in Mount Merrion of the three sons as boys playing in the grounds. Current location of picture unknown.
At the time of Queen Anne's death 1714, the Archbishop of Dublin, William King, was staying at Mount Merrion House working on the revision of his book.
The 5th Viscount became MP (Whig) for Fowey, Cornwall, in Jan 1727 [using new style year, at the time this was regarded as the end of 1726].
This was a "rotten borough", but in England, not Ireland, so he needed to be at the London parliament, not the Dublin parliament.
Leaves Ireland, moves to England, around 1726-27:
After centuries in Ireland, the Fitzwilliams moved to England. (Despite building a new seat in Dublin.)
The 5th Viscount moved to England around 1726-27.
He became a follower of the Prince of Wales (shortly George II). His family became favourites at Court. The Prince succ as George II in June 1727.
The Lodge at Mount Merrion was built c.1727.
They rented Mount Merrion out. See [Ball, vol.2, 1903] for an account of the successive tenants.
Frances separated from her husband c.1730. She entered a convent abroad. The fact that she entered a convent indicates that she stayed Catholic, even as her children were bapt Protestant.
5th Viscount was MP for Fowey until 1734.
He lived Thorpe, Surrey. Listed as of there at death.
5th Viscount dies, 1743:
See his eccentric will dated 4 Oct 1742.
He died 6 June 1743, at his house, Thorpe, Surrey, age c.66 yrs.
His will pr 22 October 1743, Prerogative Court of Canterbury.
Frances returned from abroad c.1750.
Her will dated 25 June 1761.
She lived to a great age. She lived to see the elopement of her grandson the 10th Earl of Pembroke in 1762, and the birth of her illegitimate great-grandchild Augustus Reebkomp in Nov 1762.
She outlived her daughter Mary, who died 1769.
Frances dies, 1771:
She died 11 Nov 1771, NOT 11 Dec, Old Burlington St, Mayfair, London (off Regent St, see map), age 86 yrs (NOT age 99 yrs).
She was bur 18 Nov 1771, St.James' church, Piccadilly.
(If she stayed Catholic, how was she buried at a Protestant church?)
Her will pr 13 December 1771, Prerogative Court of Canterbury.
5th Viscount and Frances had issue:
Herman Moll's map of Dublin, 1714.
NAI is wrong to say this is John Speed, 1610.
5th Viscount in list of Peers of Ireland in [Watson's Almanack, 1738, p.44].
5th Viscount listed in [Watson's Almanack, Dublin, 1740, p.41].
Also listed on p.43.
The eccentric will of the 5th Viscount in 1742.
From The Mirror of literature, amusement, and instruction, Volume 28, 1836, no.798, 1 Oct 1836, p.223.
William Fitzwilliam, 1775.
Portrait by Thomas Gainsborough.
Used here with the kind permission of the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge.
5th Viscount in [Complete Peerage].
College Green, Dublin. Looking from Trinity College up Dame St. 1753 or later.
Irish Houses of Parliament on RHS.
See other version. On sale here.
St.James' church, Piccadilly.
Photo 2012. See full size.
St.Andrew's church on hand-coloured John Rocque map of Dublin, 1756.
On the E side of it is the Earl of Kildare's old town house.
St. Andrew's Church on Ordnance Survey of Ireland map. Date created: 1838. Date modified: 1847. From here.
It burnt down 1860, replaced by a new church on same site.
The new church is now a tourist office.
Please donate to support this site.
I have spent a great deal of time and money on this research.
Research involves travel and many expenses.
Some research "things to do"
are not done for years, because I do not have the money to do them.
Please Donate Here to support the ongoing research and to keep this website free.