Humphrys genealogy

Genealogy research by Mark Humphrys.

Search:


My ancestors - O'Mara - Contents


  Roches St address

O'Mara's logos and ads

London office



O'Mara's bacon company, Limerick



O'Mara's bacon factory, Roches St, Limerick.
Photo must be late 1980s (when it closed down).
Junction of Roches St and Anne St.
Anne St to the LHS goes down to Thomas St in the background.
Apparently Richard Ray's shop was just to RHS out of picture here.
Photo courtesy of Tony Punch. See full size.




O'Mara's bacon company, the source of generations of O'Mara family wealth.
Founded by James O'Mara in his house in Mungret St, Limerick, in 1839.
James is still in Mungret St in 1850.

James moved some time in 1850-1862 to Roches St, centre of new town, Limerick.
A dedicated factory was set up near top of Roches St.
The business is listed as "James O'Mara", "provision merchant", Roches St, in [Directory of Cork & Munster, 1867].
James and his sons Stephen O'Mara and Jack O'Mara built up the business over the 19th century into a great success.

Jim O'Mara was agent for O'Mara's in London from at least 1886 until he died 1893.
O'Mara's set up the Russian Bacon Company in 1891.
From 1891 to 1903 they imported bacon from the Russian Bacon Company, Gryazi, Russia into London.

James O'Mara was agent for O'Mara's in London from 1893 to 1914.
[Modern Ireland, 1899] describes Stephen O'Mara as then head of the company, says "nearly 100" people then employed at Roches St.
Stephen O'Mara bought bacon factory in Palmerston, Ontario, Canada.
Joe O'Mara went out to run it.

Jack O'Mara was manager of O'Mara bacon factory before his death 1919.
Stephen O'Mara was Managing Director of O'Mara Ltd as at 1923.
He founded bacon factory in Claremorris, Co.Mayo, 1930.
He founded bacon factory in Letterkenny, Co.Donegal.
Marcus O'Sullivan managed the Limerick factory c. late 1930s.

In 1938 the family business went public.
Bacon Company of Ireland formed, with Jack O'Mara as Managing Director, and subsidiaries the 3 bacon factories:

  1. O'Mara's bacon factory, Roches St, Limerick city.
  2. Bacon factory, Claremorris, Co.Mayo.
  3. Bacon factory, Letterkenny, Co.Donegal.
Marcus O'Sullivan was running the bacon factory in Claremorris, Co.Mayo, as at 1942.
Stephen O'Mara was Chairman of Bacon Company of Ireland at time of his death 1959.
Mickey O'Mara became Managing Director of Bacon Company of Ireland 1970.

In 1987 the Bacon Company of Ireland merged with other companies to form Irish Country Bacon. Mickey O'Mara stopped involvement.
Shortly afterwards the old O'Mara factory in Limerick finally closed, after 150 years.
In 1988 or 1989 the O'Mara factory was demolished, and the site sold, became a car park.
The site is now the multi-storey car park on the entire block bounded by Roches St, Anne St and Roche's Row.





The date "1839" marked on the factory.
Detail of image above.



Location of O'Mara's bacon factory, Roches St, Limerick (the block between Anne St and Roche's Row, see red cross).
From 1887 to 1913 map.
See modern map.



O'Mara's bacon factory, Roches St, Limerick.
Photo 1978.
Junction of Roches St and Anne St. Looking down Anne St towards Thomas St in the background.



The same location in 2009.
Junction of Roches St and Anne St. Looking down Anne St towards Thomas St in the background.
O'Mara's bacon factory is gone. Site is the car park building on RHS.
Photo 2009. See full size.
See similar shot. See other shot.



Street view of site of O'Mara's bacon factory (car park building).
Click to rotate.
From Google Street View.



Site of O'Mara's bacon factory (car park building).
Photo from Roches St.
Photo 2009. See full size.



Site of O'Mara's bacon factory (car park building on LHS).
Junction of Roches St and Roche's Row.
Photo 2009. See full size.
See wider shot.




Roches St address

  

Trying to make sense of the numbered addresses on Roches St:


  

O'Mara's letterhead, Limerick, 1886.
Shows the factory at 31 Roches St.
They were on the telegraph.
See larger and full size.


 
Roches St in [Guy's, 1893, vol.D, p.79].
Shows O'Mara's bacon factory (multiple locations between no.29 and no.42)
and Lynch and Spain (no.45) and Richard Ray (no.46).


 
Roches St in [Guy's, 1912, pp.80-81].
Shows Stephen O'Mara at the factory at no.33 (his house is elsewhere)
and Richard Ray at no.37 and Michael Spain at no.39-40.



The modern numbering seems totally different again.
From here.


  

O'Mara's logos and ads



O'Mara's ad of 1903.
See full size.
From Fete in aid of St.John's Hospital, Limerick, June 8th to 13th, 1903. Limerick City Museum.



Award granted to O'Mara's at Irish International Exhibition in Dublin, May to Nov 1907.
See larger and full size and original.
Courtesy of Davoc Rynne.



O'Mara's bacon ads on trams on Sackville St, Dublin.
Detail of postcard of Sackville St.
See full size.
See other scan from here.



The full postcard.
See full size.
See other scan.
See other scan from here.
See other scan from here.



O'Mara's bacon ad on tram at Nelson's Pillar, O'Connell St (Sackville St), Dublin.
Photo perhaps c.1927.
From NLI.
See full size.



O'Mara letterhead, 1935.
Note "Ray's Dept". Jim Ray was a Director of O'Mara's in the 1930s. It seems that his late father's Provision Merchants business on Roches St was merged into O'Mara's.
On display at [LCM]. See full size.



O'Mara document, apparently 1936.
Courtesy of Davoc Rynne.



O'Mara logo, centenary dinner, 1939.
See larger and full size.



O'Mara's letterhead, 1943.
Signed by Stephen O'Mara.
Directors Stephen O'Mara and Michael Rynne and James O'Mara and James Ray and Marcus O'Sullivan and Jack O'Mara.
See full size.
From Limerick Museum.



O'Mara letterhead, apparently 1967.
On display at [LCM]. See full size.



O'Mara's bacon factory truck.
Photo courtesy of Tony Punch.
See full size.


  

London office

Jim O'Mara was agent for O'Mara's in London from at least 1886.
He liased with his brother Stephen O'Mara in Limerick. Stephen often travelled to London to work with Jim.

O'Mara's on Tooley St, London:
Jim wrote on 6 Oct 1886 from London to Stephen. He writes from the business of Francis E. Barnes, 47-48 Tooley St, London SE (see map), telephone no. 4618.
Stephen, in London on business, wrote to his wife on 18 and 19 Nov 1886 from the business of Francis E. Barnes, 47-48 Tooley St.

O'Maras got their own office on Tooley St.
Stephen, in London on business, wrote to his wife on 19 Oct 1888 from "Lalor, O'Mara and Horsfall", 21 Tooley St. Telephone no. 4515. Telegram address "O'Mara, London".
Jim sent a telegram to Stephen on 2 Apr 1889 from 49 Tooley St, London.
As at June 1890 the business "Lalor and O'Mara" was at 45 Tooley St, London, telephone no. 4515. See June 1890 London phone directory.
Letterheads of 12-13 May 1892, 3 Feb 1893 are from "James O'Mara", 45 Tooley St, London, telephone no. 4515.

Jim died July 1893.
Stephen kept the London office running. He did not live in London though.
Stephen's son James O'Mara went to London as agent for O'Mara's, think from 1893 to 1914. He was living London when he married in April 1895.
Letterheads of 26-27 Mar 1896 have the father's name on the business: "Stephen O'Mara", 45 Tooley St, London, telephone no. 4515.

O'Mara's on Borough High St, London:
The O'Mara office moved to Borough High St (or Boro High St), Southwark, London (see map).
In letterhead of 28 Jan 1898 the O'Mara address is 3 Boro High St, London SE. Telephone no. 4515. Think this is an old letterhead. See the following.
In letterhead of 27 Jan 1898 the O'Mara address is 10 Boro High St, London SE. Telephone no. Hop 515. HOP was the telephone exchange for Southwark.
[P102/72] is letter of 6 Dec 1900 from James to The O'Rahilly. See image. From the business at 10 Boro High St, London. Telephone no. Hop 515.
James O'Mara is listed in 1901 London phone directory at 10 Boro High St, London. Telephone no. Hop 515.
James imported bacon from Romania and sold it in London.
He returned to Ireland in 1914.

  


Letterhead of O'Mara office, 21 Tooley St, London.
They were on the telephone and telegraph. Telephone no. 4515.
From letter of 19 Oct 1888.
See full size.



"Lalor and O'Mara", 45 Tooley St, London. Telephone no. 4515.
From June 1890 London phone directory.



O'Mara's letterhead, 1898.
Still telephone no. 4515.
See larger and full size.



James O'Mara letterhead when he was agent in London in 1900.
Telephone no. Hop 515.
See full size.



James O'Mara's business address, London.
Telephone no. Hop 515.
From 1901 London phone directory.




"The English beef, the Welshman sheep,
The Scotchman haggis gnaws;
The Esquimo holds walrus fat
Between his greasy paws;
The Frenchman nibbles froggies' legs;
New Yorker's gobble clams,
But Irishmen who know what's what
Stick to O'Mara's Hams.
"

- Verse in booklet of O'Mara's centenary dinner, Savoy restaurant, Limerick, 11 Feb 1939.
The dinner included port from 1889 and cognac from 1839.





Donation Drive

Please donate to support this site. I have spent a great deal of time and money on this research. Research involves travel and many expenses. Some research "things to do" are not done for years, because I do not have the money to do them.
Please Donate Here to support the ongoing research and to keep this website free.

Help       Conventions       Abbreviations       How to read the trees

Privacy policy       Adoption policy       Image re-use policy