Humphrys genealogy

Genealogy research by Mark Humphrys.

My ancestors - Ebrill - Contents

William Ebrill

"The Ebrill family".
We can see 7 sons, 3 daus and Elizabeth Bowler (on RHS).
The daus are (in order of age): Mary (born 1866), Elizabeth, Eileen (born 1874). The daus make photo look around 1890.
There should though be 8 sons alive at that time. But that could be explained by John being away in Dublin. Not sure then who are the 7 sons here, but youngest would definitely be Daniel (born 1880).
The father should be in the photo though, if he was alive. He died 1892.
Estimated photo date: just after William Ebrill's death in 1892.
Presumably at Summerville Cottage.
See larger and larger and full size.
See another copy without damage to the RHS.

William Ebrill,
born 1818.
His father John Ebrill was a prosperous feather, skin and wool merchant on Mungret Street, Limerick.
See his father listed on Mungret St in Griffith's Valuation, 1850.
His father died 1854.
William and his brother John ran their father's business on Mungret St after his death.
[Slater's Directory, 1856] lists "William & John Ebrill", Wool Combers & Clothiers, and "John Abrill", Feather & Skin Merchants, both at Mungret Street, Limerick.
Freemans Journal, April 10, 1858, has a tribute to James O'Brien, MP for Limerick 1854-58, signed by the citizens and electors of Limerick, including "William Ebrill".
His mother died 1861 "at the residence of her son" in Mungret St.

His brother John died in July 1863.
William at brother's death 1863 was running "William and John Ebrill", wool merchants, Mungret St, with his brother.
William continued running the business on Mungret St. He kept the name "William and John Ebrill" on the business for decades after John died in 1863.
In Deed of Aug 1863 William leases land just to the E side of South Circular Road. He is wool merchant, of Mungret St.
He is listed as bachelor, merchant, living Limerick, at time of marriage in Jan 1864.

William married 12 Jan 1864 [him age 46, her age 19] to Elizabeth Bowler [Eliza, bapt 11 Apr 1844].
See entry for her in tree by Paddy Waldron.
Elizabeth was born Limerick, dau of Thomas Bowler, sea captain, by his wife Ellen Gleeson, hotel owner.
She was said to be born 11 Jan 1844, but this is a long way from baptism date, and also why then age 19 on mar cert and not age 20? Correct birth date probably closer to bapt date.
Yvonne Elsworth notes that Elizabeth's father Thomas Bowler was on a voyage to Canada 8 Apr 1843 to 17 June 1843, according to documents at [NA.UK].
Elizabeth was bapt 11 Apr 1844 [St.Michael's, Limerick]. See image from here.
She is listed as living Limerick at time of mar.
They mar at [St.Andrew's RC church, Westland Row, Dublin].
See mar cert from [GROI]. See record in [LDS IGI].

William imported and exported wool. He came to own lots of property in Limerick.
Listed as "wool merchant" at children's births 1864 to 1878.
[PAT/1, p.10] says the O'Mara's did a thriving business in wool with the Ebrills during the slack bacon period. Old James O'Mara had started out in wool before getting into bacon.

William set up a new residence away from his business.
He is listed as living "Summerville", Limerick, at son's birth and death in Nov 1864.
Though later he is listed elsewhere.
Listed as living Mungret St, Limerick, at dau's birth 1866.
He moved his main business to 18 Upper William St, Limerick. Listed there from 1867.
"William and John Ebrill", 25 Mungret St and 18 Upper William St, is listed in [Directory of Cork and Munster, 1867, pp.393-394] under Wool Merchants and Brokers and Worsted Manufacturers.
Elizabeth is probably "Lissie Ebrill" who wit the mar of her niece by marriage Ellen Pigott (who was the same age as her) in Feb 1867.
Listed as living 5 Catherine Place, Limerick (near Hartstonge House, see map) at children's births 1868-1869.
"William and John Ebrill", Wool Merchants and Brokers, 18 Upper William St (no more Mungret St), is listed in [Slater's, 1870], and [Bassett's, 1875] to [Bassett's, 1884], and [Guy's, 1886].
Listed as living Thomas St, Limerick, at children's births 1871-1873.
Settled at "Summerville Cottage", Summerville Avenue, off South Circular Rd, Limerick. There by dau's birth 1874. Would be family home for many decades.
[Bassett's directory, 1875] lists the business at 18 Upper William St, and also lists William Ebrill, Wool Merchants & Brokers, Garryowen.
Listed as living "Laurel Hill Cottage" (other name for Summerville Cottage), Summerville Avenue, in [Bassett's, 1877] to [Bassett's, 1884].

William Ebrill, of St.Michael's par, Limerick, is among those writing an open letter, 4 May 1877, to the Bishop of Limerick, expressing their wish to organise celebrations of the Golden Jubilee of Pope Pius IX. (50th anniversary of him becoming a bishop.) See letter in Freemans Journal, 9 May 1877.
Listed as wool merchant, of Upper William St, in Deed of 1879.
William was Member of Royal Historical and Archaeological Association of Ireland.
Obituary says: "Mr. Ebrill, who was a widely-read man, took a great interest in antiquarian matters, and as an authority on local historical subjects the greatest weight was always attached to his opinion."
His will dated 29 Dec 1887 [NAI, ref. 1A-7-128, p.405].
[Ashe's directory, 1891] lists "W. Ebrill", Wool Merchants, 18 Upper William St.
Listed as "wool merchant" at death.

William dies, 1892:
He died 16 June 1892, at his home, Summerville Cottage, Limerick, age 74 yrs [GROI], [NAI], [grave, Garryowen].
See death notice in Limerick Chronicle, 16 June 1892.
See obituary in Limerick Chronicle, 16 June 1892.
Funeral Sat 18 June 1892, bur Garryowen.
See item in Nenagh Guardian, June 22, 1892.
Will pr 3 Aug 1892. Left estate of £8607 [NAI]. This is about £3m in today's money.
[Guy's, 1893] lists W. and J. Ebrill, 19 Upper William St (must be error for 18), under "Woollen Merchants".

Elizabeth and her family are listed in 1901 census at Summerville Cottage, Summerville Ave ("house 2" in "Short Avenue"). They have one servant living with them.
Elizabeth is listed as living Summerville Cottage when she registered her mother's death 1904 [GROI].
She is listed as of Summerville Cottage in Deed of 1905.
Elizabeth and her family are listed in 1911 census at Summerville Cottage, South Circular Road. They have one servant living with them.

Elizabeth dies, 1924:
Elizabeth died at Summerville Cottage, 27 Sept 1924, age 80 yrs [GROI].
See obituary in Limerick Chronicle, 27 Sept 1924. This says she had a long history of charity work.
Their daus were educ Laurel Hill, Limerick.
Their sons were educ Crescent College, Limerick, and Clongowes.
William and Elizabeth had issue:

  1. John Ebrill,
    born 6 Nov 1864, at "Summerville", Limerick. See birth cert from here.
    He was bapt 13 Nov 1864 [St.Michael's, Limerick].
    He died at "Summerville", 21 Nov 1864, age 15 days [GROI].
    He was bur Garryowen.
    There is another John.

  2. Mary Ebrill,
    born 5 Sept 1866, Mungret St, Limerick [GROI],
    apparently bapt [St.John's, Limerick], possibly 5 Sept 1866, also here.
    She is probably Mary Ebrill, from Madame de Prin's College, Limerick, whose exam results are listed in the Cork Examiner, September 27, 1884.
    She didn't marry.
    Her father's will of 1887 left his two houses in Victoria Terrace, South Circular Road, Limerick, to "my daughter Mary".
    She lived with her sister Elizabeth and brother Frank in family home, Summerville Cottage, Limerick.
    Listed at Summerville Cottage in Deed of 1905.
    Listed as spinster, of Summerville Cottage, in Deed of 1932.
    Living Summerville Cottage in 1944 [Ebrill papers].
    Her will dated 17 Nov 1948.
    She died Summerville Cottage, 3 Dec 1952, age 86 yrs [GROI].
    Probate of will granted 4 Dec 1953 to Frank.

  3. Ellen Ebrill,
    born 27 Jan 1868, Catherine Place, Limerick [GROI],
    bapt 8 Feb 1868 [St.Michael's, Limerick].
    She died in infancy, bur Garryowen.
    There is another Ellen.

  4. William Ebrill,
    born 9 Apr 1869, Catherine Place, Limerick [GROI],
    bapt 10 Apr 1869 [St.Michael's, Limerick].

  5. Elizabeth Ebrill,
    Lizzie, Eliza, born Limerick,
    bapt 9 July 1870 [St.Michael's, Limerick].

  6. John Ebrill (second John),
    John Francis Ebrill, born 17 Aug 1871, Thomas St, Limerick [GROI],
    bapt 20th Aug [St.Michael's, Limerick].
    He was educ Crescent College, Limerick, 1877-87.
    He was educ Clongowes.
    His father William's will 1887 left two properties to his son John: John was educ UCD. He got a BA.
    See letter from him at UCD, 5 Nov 1889. He notes the novelty of writing it on a typewriter.
    Letter is to "My Dear de Courcy". This is John Stephen de Courcy (born 1872).
    His father died 1892.
    O'Mara family letter of 11 Oct 1893 says: "John Ebrill is so well that he is going to Dublin to study." But sadly his health did not last.
    Death, 1894:
    John died Thur 3 May 1894, Summerville Cottage, unmarried, age 22 yrs, of bronchitis [GROI].
    See item in Limerick Chronicle, 3 May 1894.
    Funeral Sat 5 May 1894.
    A 1953 inventory in Ebrill papers of items in the Ebrill family home, Summerville Cottage, includes: "2 gold medals (J.F. Ebrill) in cases."

  7. Thomas Ebrill,
    Tom, born 20 Feb 1873, Thomas St, Limerick [GROI].

  8. Eileen Ebrill.
    Ellen Mary Ebrill (second Ellen). "Ellen" in her father's will. She signs herself "Ellen Mary McKern" in Deed of 1921.
    But she was normally called "Eileen" or "Eily".
    She was born at Summerville Cottage, Limerick We suspect she was born 28 Apr 1874.
    See birth cert from here. This says she was born 28 May 1874. But that is impossible given baptism. It is most likely an error for 28 April. (Birth registered in June.)
    She was bapt 1 May 1874 [St.Michael's, Limerick]. See baptism image from here.
    Her father's will of 1887 left his houses 3 and 4 Summerville Terrace to "my dau Ellen".
    She was living with her brother George in Dublin in 1901 census. Not married.
    She mar late 1901, London, to Tom McKern and had issue.
    Deed of 1905 and Deed of 1921 refer to marriage agreement dated 26 Nov 1901.

  9. Frank Ebrill,
    Stephen Francis, Stephen Frank, Francis,
    born 2nd Aug 1875, Summerville Cottage, Limerick [GROI],
    bapt "Stephen", 9th Aug [St.Michael's, Limerick].

  10. George Ebrill,
    born Limerick,
    bapt 20th Oct 1876 [St.Michael's, Limerick].

  11. Charles Ebrill,
    Charles Edward,
    born 28th July 1878, Summerville Cottage, Limerick [GROI],
    bapt 2nd Aug 1878 [St.Michael's, Limerick].

  12. Neil Ebrill.
    "Neal Ebrill" of South Circular Road was educ Crescent College, Limerick, 1892-1897.
    There was thought to be possibly a child who died young in 1887. This might be him, and maybe dying in 1897.
    Or he might be identical with Daniel, who has middle name "Neil" on death cert.
    Except there seem to be two sons Neil and Daniel in Crescent College records.
    Sketch of family lists a son "Neill" and no Daniel.
    Letter of 1 July 1943 refers to "Neil's Indemnity" and Neil's financial affairs. This suggests "Neil" might be Daniel, who has just died. Or could it refer to Niall, heir of George?

  13. Daniel Ebrill,
    born Limerick,
    bapt 24 June 1880 [St.Michael's, Limerick].
    Daniel Joseph Ebrill.
    Death cert lists him as "Daniel Joseph Neil Ebrill".
    He was educ Crescent College, Limerick, 1893-1895.
    Listed as "butter merchant's apprentice" in 1901 census. Unmarried.
    Listed at Summerville Cottage in Deed of 25 July 1905.
    Listed at Summerville in Deed of 22 Nov 1905.
    He is listed in 1911 census in lodgings with a family on Newenham Street, Limerick. He is "butter merchant", single.
    Listed as of Summerville Cottage in Indenture dated 19 Mar 1912.
    Listed as of Catherine St, Limerick, in Indenture dated 25 Feb 1913. Daniel is applying to his brother Thomas for "Twenty five Pounds to enable him to emigrate". Daniel in this and 1912 deed transfers some of his inheritance to Thomas to get cash.
    List of documents has Daniel J. Ebrill party to a deed of 27 Feb 1913 about Ebrill family property.

    Emigrated to Australia:
    He emigrated to Australia in 1913, according to 1959 document in Ebrill papers.
    He served in the Australian Imperial Force (AIF) in WWI.
    A note on his death cert seems to say he was an engineer in the AIF in WWI, 1914-18, and received a war pension.
    1957 document in Ebrill papers says the family lost contact with him after WWI.
    He was known by the family to be living at time of Deed of 1932.

    Death, 1943:
    Listed at death 1943 as "salesman", living Kyogle, New South Wales, Australia.
    Death cert lists it as "unknown" if he was then married, or ever married.
    He died 13 Apr 1943, Kyogle Memorial Hospital, Kyogle, age 62 yrs.
    See death cert LHS and RHS. See close-up of note.
    He was bur 14 Apr 1943, RC section of Kyogle Cemetery. See map and street view.
    Documents of 1956-57 in Ebrill papers show the Ebrill solicitor trying to get a copy of the death cert for Daniel, and trying to confirm he died unmarried (as believed by the Ebrills).
    Deed of 1959 and another 1959 document say he died unmarried.

William and John Ebrill business listed in [Directory of Cork & Munster, 1867].
John has died but the business still has the name of the brothers.

"The Ebrills".
Photo must be 1872.
And must be (Left to Right): William, Elizabeth Bowler with the second baby John (born Aug 1871), Mary, Elizabeth.
The other 2 children having died in infancy.
See larger and full size.

Ebrill group.
Looks like same window as above.
The two boys at the front are Bowler relations.
Photo estimated c.1890.
If the others are Ebrills, that leaves 2 daus and 5 sons.
Unclear who the adults are. The woman could be Elizabeth Bowler. The man cannot really be William Ebrill since he would look a lot older.
Courtesy of Yvonne Elsworth.

Looks like same man as above.
See full size. Courtesy of Yvonne Elsworth.

Unknown Ebrill group.
See larger and full size.
Courtesy of John de Courcy.

Unknown Ebrill group.
See larger and full size.
Courtesy of John de Courcy.


Later group photos


Back (Left to Right): George Ebrill, William Ebrill.
Front (Left to Right): Susan James, Brian Ebrill (born 1911), Elizabeth Bowler, Sarah Nestor.
Must be c.1916.
See full size and original.
See alternative scan.

Back (Left to Right): William Ebrill, George Ebrill (died 1921).
Centre (Left to Right): Sarah Nestor (holding one of her children, born post-1907), Elizabeth Bowler, Elizabeth Ebrill.
Front (Left to Right): Unknown person X (see below), (another son, perhaps Charles Ebrill), (unknown child), (possibly Frank Ebrill).
See larger and original.
Photo must be 1907-1921.

Unidentified Ebrill

Apparently not a 1st marriage for our William Ebrill since he is listed as "bachelor" at marriage in Jan 1864.



Donation Drive

Please donate to support this site. I have spent a great deal of time and money on this research. Research involves travel and many expenses. Some research "things to do" are not done for years, because I do not have the money to do them.
Please Donate Here to support the ongoing research and to keep this website free.

Help       Conventions       Abbreviations       How to read the trees

Privacy policy       Adoption policy       Image re-use policy       New 250 G VPS server.